SCREENING- What you should know..
many types of health screening plan offered in Singapore but you
should know what you want to screen for and what is cost effective
blood tests offered, usually include the tumour markers (it is misleading
to think that with these tests, you can rule out tumours). Most
of these expensive tests are used to follow up people with known
tumours already and are not proven to be a good screening tool.
However, some tumour markers are worth doing, eg Alpha feto- protein
for someone who is a hepatitis carrier, Prostatic Specific Antigen
(PSA) for prostate cancer in high-risk patients. So please ask the
doctor for advise when you go for any health screen.
- Full cholesterol test every year for men >
35 yrs old, and women > 45 yrs old.
- Regular Blood Pressure checks.
- Colorectal Cancer check from age 45 - Yearly
stool check, and colonoscopy once every 10 yrs (Starting from
age 50 ).
- Cervical Cancer check every 1 to 3 yrs from the
age of 25 or when sexually active.
- A mammogram to check for breast cancer every
year, starting at age 40 . 2 yearly for age 50 and above .
- Diabetes test every year from age 40 and above.
Other Useful Optional Test.
- Hepatitis A and B screen
- Stool for blood for > 50 yrs old
- PAP smear for ladies >25 yrs old or sexually
- Diabetes screen
- Cholesterol screen
- Chest X-ray
- ECG for comparison later in life
- Mammogram from age 40, every 1 year
- Bone density screen for 65 and above, for osteoporosis
- Urine analysis
Optional tests available in the clinic
- Ultrasound of the liver, gall bladder, thyroid
- Ultrasound bladder, kidneys, pancreas,
spleen, uterus, ovaries
YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE THE TEST
- For Blood test:
- Fast from 10 pm to 9am, no food or drink
except plain water. Eat your dinner normally, do not starve
nor go for a buffet.
- For Stool test:
- Take a high fibre diet 2 days before
and during test
- Avoid- (red/rare meat), (turnip, cauliflower,
broccoli, horseradish, cantaloupe and parsnip), (Vitamin C,
certain Pain Killers eg Ponstan, Synflex & Alcohol)
- Allow to take small amount of well-cooked
chicken, fish, vegetables (lettuce, corn, spinach, carrots,
celery, fruits like prunes and apple)
- For Ultrasound Scan:
- Stomach area: Need to fast, without water
for a minimum of 4 to 6hrs
- Bladder area: Keep bladder full by drinking
4 glasses of water ½ an hour before examination.